My photo
Being a modeller for quite a few years now, I decided to explore the endless possibilities that the world (through internet) offers, and come up with a series of ways of building, modelling and painting fast (but not hastily), to create the worlds I was seeing in history books since I was little. . .If you care to join me. . . This is the place to be! And, I promise you to find the way (or ways)!!

Monday 21 May 2012

ZVEZDA's #6115 - 37mm AA Gun - Painting Tutorial

Good day mates!

A new week has started today (with some heavy clouds above the Athenian sky), with me trying to paint as  much as possible, while trying to run a house, its errants, some extra work and a girlfriend!
From my last post, most of you have seen the kits I bought last week, so these past couple of days were 'washing, priming, painting, weathering, varnishing' and some more! Going mental, to say the least! :-)
Mental I went, but not in vain. I managed to prepare most of them and I actually managed to finish Zvezda's kit #6115 - 37mm AA Gun. In addition to that, while painting it, I took photos in every stage of the process, so as to upload a post with a tutorial to use it as a reference, if you think it may be of any use to you.

So, enough with the talking, let's move on to the photo scroll...


Step 1.
After assembling the model, I used some FOW War Spray (Soviet Armour), to prime it.


Step 2.
After the priming, I used some GW washes (Badab Black and Nuln Oil don't worry, it's the same wash - it's the never ending new policy from Citadel - same products, different names, pls don't get me started...).


Step 3.
After the washes, I used VMC 70.894 Russian Green, to drybrush (heavily mannered) the model.


Step 4.
Carrying on with the drubrushing process, I then used VMC 70.924 Russian Uniform, to drybrush the model, in order to start giving 'depth' to the various layers of surfaces of the model. You can see at this stage, that colours are beginning to get more distinctive, and they start to show the details of the model.


Step 5.
For the final part of the drybrushing process, I used some VMC 70. Green Grey, to drybrush (lightly) the model. You can now see, the nearly finished model.


Step 6.
I used some VMG 70.862 Black Grey to paint the tyres.


Step 7. After some weathering (painting some Black and Brown washes), in order to give a 'dirty' look, the model is ready to get on the table and be used (for wargames purposes)!


I haven't post any details regarding the figs' painting procedure - one of my following posts, will be a relevant tutorial for my Russian comrades - so stay tuned! :-)

I hope you found this tutorial useful.

Have a great day guys!

T.



12 comments:

  1. Excellent, you really do make it look so simple. A great result and a wonderful start to the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Michael. The outcome is rather mediocre compared to your works....
      My style is not so good as yours. I paint with a 'wargames' style, meaning that the level of detailing is not that high....
      But, I thank you for your good words!

      Delete
  2. This is a nice piece and putting the tutorial up is a great help. Looking forward to seeing the tutorial on the painting of the figures as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann!
      I uploaded the figs tutorial today!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant job Thanos and great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Thanos, those arms on the figures are painful aren't they.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Paul, I was thinking that the sculptor was having a bad nights sleep the day before sculpting these figures.... :-)

      Delete
  5. As michael has said, you make it look simple. I would never have thought to attach the figs and then paint..but it works really well.
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time for me Paul, I usually paint them seperately.
      But, when I saw the levers...I changed my opinion. :-)

      Delete
  6. Very nice work. I enjoyed the step-by-step painting explanation along with pictures. Very effective painting style, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jay!
      Effective for wargaming purposes, you're right in that. :-)

      Delete