My photo
Being a modeller for quite a few years now, I decided to explore the endless possibilities that the world (through internet) offers, and come up with a series of ways of building, modelling and painting fast (but not hastily), to create the worlds I was seeing in history books since I was little. . .If you care to join me. . . This is the place to be! And, I promise you to find the way (or ways)!!

Wednesday 3 November 2010

An embossed house!!

Good day everyone!

I would like to thank all of you again, for your visits and comments! You are the ones that make this blog exist! :-)

As for the ongoing - and never ending Project, I've finally managed to finish a new house, and this time I used a different method of construction. Apart from the foamcore sheets (0.5 cm) that I used for the inner walls of this house (in order to give stability), I used Slaters' Plasticard (#0419 - Stone courses Grey)embossed styrene sheets to give the essence of stone walls, a picture so common in Normandy.

These sheets are very easy to work with, since their thickness is 0.5 mm, which makes them easy to cut according to your wishes!! :-)
You can find them in most stores, who sell modelling materials or from internet. I bought them from England from a shop full of goodies! It is called Gaugemaster ( www.gaugemaster.com ). Great service, reasonable prices (I sound like a seller)! :-)

On a second thought, I should have used Wills Quoins for the corners of the house, to make it look more realistic, and perhaps weathering it a bit more. Food for thought for my next house. Evolution comes with small steps each time! :-)

I also put some photos of the last two houses I made, in order to see how nice they blend together!I know I sound cocky, but I like them! :-)

Hope you like them too!

T.


















11 comments:

  1. T, What are you using for the window shutters?

    GReg

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good but I think maybe one thing may be missing...Gutters and drainpipes! Or are they coming at a later stage?
    Greetings
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another really nice building. It's good to see it with others as well, they make a really great group, especially with the hedges and gates. Having different roof types and colours helps to make everything look more real as well.

    The only thing I'd suggest (I hope you don't mind) is that the stonework is quite grey. The stone in Normandy is often a warm cream/gold colour, which would contrast nicely with your rendered buildings (the grey render is perfect though!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great as ever. I wish I could build like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly jealous of your building efforts. Fantasic work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you guys!
    @GReg: The window shutters are self made, I used plastic strip of 0.7 cm width and over them I placed a piece of embossed styrene sheet (vertical lines) from Plasticard (Slaters 0432 - Z / N Scales -1mm Width Spaced Planking). Easy and quite effective IMHO. :-)
    @Alan: Thank you mate! I am struggling to find the right colour for the walls. I found in a forum someone who paints his Normandy buildings with the following method:
    1. Chocolate brown - basecoat
    2. GW Iyanded Darksun - 1st drybrush (heavy)
    3. GW Dheneb Stone - 2nd Drybrush
    I might give it a go to see how it goes!
    Thank you all again!
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice houses,When can we expect a group photo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's different, smart finish on those mate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really beautiful efforts. You have some great terrain pieces here.

    Frank
    http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. errr...I don´t know if I am the only one but I can´t see the photos...only a "Bandwidth exceeded message" from photobucket
    Greetings
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  11. The house looks excellent. I've always seen the textured styrene at the hobby shop, but never saw it put to good use.

    I agree that gutters would be cool. Did they use gutters in Normandy?

    P.S. Did you see the Normandy houses recently pictured on my WWII blog?

    ReplyDelete